The boy who picks sampaloc in our backyard
Muan 05/17
I only know him as I can recall was the boy who picks ripe Sampaloc fruits in our backyard on summer. He comes together with her younger sister on mid-day when everyone in our home is on his or her leisurely siesta while watching noontime shows. The only way we know these juvenile thefts are the scorching sound created by iron sheets my father would place, as a blockade. I can't recall if they were ever scolded by my dad or just maybe they'd fled long before they're caught.
It has been a long time when I last heard of this boy and his sisters. The last time I think was in a Sunday mass where he serves as an altar boy. I barely recall the face of this kid since I got to move to Manila for my studies and now, work.
In the province last Saturday, I noticed the wake in one of our neighbor. I was about to buy a family-size Coke for it was hot that night. Skeptic I was I hurried home and ask who just died.
The 11 year-old boy was found hanged last Friday afternoon inside their abode. His playmates recounts, Kerwin attempted to mimic some fatal stunts he’d see in a reality TV shows for their amusement.
“The boy who picks Sampaloc in your backyard is gone” his father told me while he tried to seize his tears. He laments how the boy assiduously helped him prepare their lunch, every thing happened too fast.
Manong Tibo; his father, plays a trombone together with a band and would occasionally play in fiestas, including funerals.
I only know him as I can recall was the boy who picks ripe Sampaloc fruits in our backyard on summer. He comes together with her younger sister on mid-day when everyone in our home is on his or her leisurely siesta while watching noontime shows. The only way we know these juvenile thefts are the scorching sound created by iron sheets my father would place, as a blockade. I can't recall if they were ever scolded by my dad or just maybe they'd fled long before they're caught.
It has been a long time when I last heard of this boy and his sisters. The last time I think was in a Sunday mass where he serves as an altar boy. I barely recall the face of this kid since I got to move to Manila for my studies and now, work.
In the province last Saturday, I noticed the wake in one of our neighbor. I was about to buy a family-size Coke for it was hot that night. Skeptic I was I hurried home and ask who just died.
The 11 year-old boy was found hanged last Friday afternoon inside their abode. His playmates recounts, Kerwin attempted to mimic some fatal stunts he’d see in a reality TV shows for their amusement.
“The boy who picks Sampaloc in your backyard is gone” his father told me while he tried to seize his tears. He laments how the boy assiduously helped him prepare their lunch, every thing happened too fast.
Manong Tibo; his father, plays a trombone together with a band and would occasionally play in fiestas, including funerals.

2 Comments:
that's sad...to think he was only 11 years old. :( should we blame it on the reality tv show? negligence of his parents? or simply fate - that he's destined to die young?
-nette
How sad that we considered them as our pesky neighbors and remember them fondly when they leave. Strangely though, I know how you feel.
"Life goes on, and you forget."
-Life Goes On, Color It Red
Post a Comment
<< Home