12.31.2004

1000 Things - Happy New Year!

Muan 12/31

Whatever "one thousand things" mean, allow me to share to you few of these 1000 mundane things that partake of what I’ve been through this year.


Muan; “My Sassy Powerbook”
– Very few knew about Muan; a sleek 15” aluminum laptop issued by my company second week of January 2004, a week before I planned to submit my resignation letter. Lucky? Probably yes, Muan became a worthy real-life partner to me. She introduced me to the bandwagon world of apple; iLife, iTunes, iPods, Keynote, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Macs. Muan is responsible of the many pitches won for freelance work, a handy DVD player during Sundays in the province, a huge storage of gut-wrenching mp3’s.
Aside: Expect her to behave like a woman at times.

Mumu; “Boy, mahal yang sheylfon mo ‘no?”
– I (accidentally) dropped it to the floor few times, broke its LCD once, that made me learned my lesson, I became more responsible P900 owner I guess. Its Bluetooth, jotter, digital camera features amuses me a lot plus it plays mp3 files! It’s probably one of the reasons why I am not into iPods yet.
Aside: LCD costs a decent mms with camera phone in Greenhills.

Mio; “The Other Camera”
– I spent my bonus last year buying this 3.02 MP pseudo- DSLR camera (Fuji FinepixS3000) bought directly from FUJI head office in Sto. Domingo.
The shots were excellent, given the limited exposure / apertures functionalities and for the price, I would say that it’s a steal.
Aside: I planned to sell it at eBay this December, but for strange reason, it seemed it needs a check up.

Moldy Cards; “Wallet- Filler”
– Though I refute its purpose, credit cards existence in some ways had saved me, countless times.
Aside: Good news. You can now check your credit on your mobile. A nominal fee per transaction will be charge.

Old Manila Coffee; “Coffee Connoisseur’s Preference”
– Though cafes have sprouted in almost every corner in the megalopolis, Starbucks’ remains a favorite among other addictive caffeine concoctions, though Nescafe Mocha Java would do the trick during lean moments. Café Cerrudo of Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf is a decent alternative, not to mention Figaro’s Best Cappuccino in town and Old Manila’s Authentic Kape Barako. Did I say Old Manila?
Aside: Never propose in a coffee shop.


Globe Wiz; “Forever Free Wi-Fi”
– I love Globe only for this. Ever since I discovered Wi-Fi January last year, their website had been touting their free trial Wi-Fi services among Globe post-paid users. Good news is, its still free. Simply dial *9910 on your mobile phone and conquer Greenbelt 3 yourself.
Aside: You may try Airborne Access. Its readily available in every Seattle’s Best counter for 100 bucks for 90 minutes.

Music One; “Don’t Steal Music”
– Okay I admit, I pirated gigabytes of songs over the net, but that doesn’t prevent me buying legit CD’s right? For humane sake, I need to verify the correct albums/ single titles of my bootleg files. But seriously, I love collecting rare CD’s and few un-abused foreign titles. Silje Nergaard, Ingram Hill, Ray Charles, Kings of Convenience to name a few.
Aside: Music One and Tower Records are the same.

Fully Booked; “Aside Powerbooks”
– It's one compelling reason to go to Rockwell, a superb store to scout for graphic design books (well in my case, I don’t buy, I just browse), worth-reading books ideal for gifts. The Press, a café adjacent the bookstore for me is a perfect place for client meetings or just plain meetings.
Aside: No Wi-Fi Access yet.


Komoro Soba; “Japanese Na Mura”
– A decent alternative over other Japanese fast foods, Komora Soba offers a different twist of Japanese. Their Shogayaki (Gingered Pork) and Kara Soba Hot (Rice Noodles) are must-have orders for me. Branches can be found in Megamall B and Glorietta 2. Shu-shiya’s Clear-broth Soup Kitaro’s Mixed Tempura, Teriyaki Boy’s Chicken Teriyaki, Sushi Mart’s Mixed Sushi, The Lemon Kitchen’s Tempura Sisig are next on my list.
Aside: Tokyo Tokyo’s Squid Misono is no longer available.

Marks & Spencer; “My Precious”
– Absolve me, but it’s the only store I can afford to enter. Other shops, boutique I go to are U2, Levis, Bench, Store With No Name, and People Are People.
Aside: Folded and Hung supplied me a yearlong horde of black polo shirt.

Philmug.Ph; “Mugger’s 911”
– a 24-hour helpline for Macintosh newbie as well as an avenue discussing tools of trades, gadgets, paraphernalia, software updates, apple rumors and yes humors from unseen personalities behind some of those icky nicks and avatars.
Aside: Absolutely no off topics please.


Sto. Nino de Paz; “Greenbelt Chapel”
– This dome-like asylum nested in the lush Greenbelt park is a favorite place among urbanite who seek refuge after a day of work.
Aside: The centerpiece stained glass adorning the chapel’s ceiling is done by sculpture Ramon Orlina.


R&E Taxi; “Love ko ‘to”
– For someone who don’t drive or simply car-less, taxi’s are your best friends. Being keen to moonlighting commitments, taxi became a sinful mode of transportation on certain occasions that the Metro Rail is not a viable choice.
Aside: Taxi’s flag down rate is 30.00. Ortigas loop charges 40.00. It’s a fare world don’t you think.


103.5 KLite; “Radio Gaga”
– A self-confessed avid fan of KLite, waking up with Morning Brew program became a habit for almost a year until Mylinda left the station few months back. I used to listen Zach and Joey over NU107 since college but they too, left the airwaves in 2001. Virgin Radio UK offers the same music genre (rock, alternative, classic rock) if you wish to take a break from boring local radio jingles and plugs.
Aside: I won two concert tickets of MTV Pilipinas from joining one promo contest of Klite.

Blogspot; “Blog? What Blog?”
– Been into blogging for a couple of years now, keeping blogs one after another ‘til Goggle finds it. Blogging taught me one thing, learn to listen and speak to yourself. I was amazed how this former closet hobby has unconsciously transcended my burning dream – being able to write and influence people.
Aside: Be careful putting live tag boards for it may attract lurkers that exist in the cranny. Those pathetic ignorant internet rat and resolved themselves reading people journals, leaving pettish comments and insults.


Victory Liner; “Time Machine”
– Traveling almost twice a week from Metro Manila to my remote, rural hometown in Tarlac province has become therapeutic hobby. What could have been more enticing than sleeping during the four-hour travel time plus a momentary break from the consuming city.
Aside: I did a market study of the Hernandez-owned company during my college.

Hardshell; “Pseudo Bobl-Bee”
– A cheap laptop backpack bought from a Chinese trader in 5th Avenue Caloocan. It became Muan’s companion and sported one of the apple stickers that come with it. Original item price ranges from 10 to 15 grands in the US. I've got this Korea-brand that is made of abs polyresin plastic unlike the locally distributed ones that are made of fiberglass.
Aside: You may call me for orders.


Ice Monster; “Ice Monster Meets Cookie Monster”
– A simplified halo-halo with a twist; good packaging, marketing strategy.
Aside: Strawberry remains a favorite between Avocado and Sweet Corn.

Greenbelt Cinemas; “Now You See Me, Now You Don’t”
– A favorite place to watch Art Films and blockbuster movies, this old Greenbelt cinema house never fails to fascinate lone-moviegoers like me with its prudent space and atmosphere.
Aside: Be careful in choosing film titles to see. Who knows you might end up sited beside someone in the cinema house.

Segafredo; "Expresso Italiano"
– I am not a pizza-lover, but one thing I would recommend about this place is their lovable Napoletana pizza that comes in humungous servings. Their expresso goes well with menthol cigarettes. Segafredo can be found at Greenbelt 2.
Aside: Observe how their logo resembles like Seagate's.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

rawwr!

or is it.. koo-koo-roo-koo??

1/03/2005 12:14 PM  
Blogger sublime wanderer said...

grabe ang sosy nga naman...iba tlga pag mayaman. grabe. =p manlibre ka naman noh

1/03/2005 3:42 PM  
Blogger maun said...

walang dyo! 'kitamong dala-dalawa trabaho ko, sasabihin mo'ng mayaman ako.

1/03/2005 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home